Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Loud guitar, louder trousers

There's not been much blogging time of late, not least due to the fact that both home and shop computers have been malfunctioning. I did make an attempt to use a terminal in Uxbridge library but to no avail...

It's been a very busy time in the shop, as you might expect at this time of year. There seems to be a never-ending supply of large cardboard boxes to be manhandled from shop to storeroom and back again (no wonder I've got a bad back!) whilst attempting to simultaneously serve customers, answer the phone and, in the case of this Monday afternoon, do an interview for the local paper. Paul the guv'nor and myself fended off all the usual questions while trying not to look too awkward posing for pictures in front of the counter. It's due out near the end of this month, just in time for Christmas...

Last weekend saw 2 highly enjoyable gigs depping in The Cane Toads whose guitarist Malcolm was away with his family. Friday was at The Woodman in Northwood, (an excellent pub venue and a regular haunt of the band's) Saturday at The South Lodge hotel in Chelmsford at a 60th birthday party for David, a mate of the band. We had a couple of rehearsals which was no bad thing- I had over 40 songs to learn, most of which I'd not played before. And it's a varied setlist too, running from recent stuff by the likes of The Zutons and The Kaiser Chiefs to oldies from Thin Lizzy and The Stones. All good stuff, but quite a challenge to get right. I used my Greco Zemaitis-alike which I bought earlier this year- the first time I've used it in a band situation. It's got a 2-octave neck which has taken a bit of getting used too- in fact I'm not sure I have got used to it as I 'overshot' a couple of times resulting in some very unusual moments in the solos... and I used my old Marshall combo which I'd not used since last year's Price gigs- it sounded great once I'd remembered that it only sounds great if you turn it up LOUD. Martin the singer (who could politely be described as 'a character') excelled himself at the Chelmsford show by changing into a pair of shiny red leather trousers for the second set- he'd wore a shiny black pair for the first half which had been outrageous enough, though clearly not outrageous enough for him. Good man.

Talking of The Price, last night we rehearsed for next weekend's gig in Shoreham. East has put some video up on our website- suffice to say it was a highly enjoyable blast from the past which should make for a memorable gig. Before then though there are 2 Blues Brothers gigs to contend with, as well as late night opening at the shop this Friday- more news as and when I have it, as they say...

http://www.canetoads.co.uk/

No comments: