Monday, July 27, 2015

Croydon... and on... and, er, off...

So that was the birthday weekend that was, and as so often happens everything didn't quite go according to plan...

Things started well, with an Upper Cut gig at The Dolphin in Uxbridge on Friday. It had been a lousy day weather - wise, although I'd had a great time doing, well very little - I did watch some music DVDs (The WhoLed Zeppelin, Dr. Feelgood, the usual stuff) and practise some songs but mostly I, for want of a better term, had a day off. I don't have too many of those, or I don't feel as though I do sometimes... come the evening it was still raining heavily, and as we started our show with 'Substitute' (it's become something of a tradition on my birthday!) I was aware that we weren't playing to the fullest room that we'd ever seen. Happily some more people did arrive, and by the time Good Old Boys singer Alan Barratt joined us for two songs in our second set there were a lot more people about. And there were still quite few people about when I left around 2.30 am Saturday - at least I think that was when I left...

I somehow found myself at Balcony Shirts as Dave unlocked the front door at 9 o'clock on Saturday morning - my attempts at clearing my head by walking around town had sadly failed, and it took even more expensive coffee than I thought it would to get me feeling anywhere near 'normal'. One could argue one of the great ironies of life is that if we celebrate by drinking alcohol to any degree then we invariably feel terrible the next day... after a busy enough day in the shop (well, it was certainly busy enough for me!) it was time for a Big Al Reed and The Blistering Buicks gig at The Brushwood Inn in Hillingdon. With the band due to be playing at a wedding next month several new songs were tried out during a marathon three set show that went well, although I'd be lying if I didn't say that the previous evening's excesses were definitely catching up with me. Mind you that didn't stop me staying after the gig for a couple more drinks. No surprise there eh?

The next day I managed a lie-in until 10 am. Sometimes you can have too much sleep can't you? I however definitely needed the rest. I was just running through some Neck songs in preparation for an early evening performance at The Ambition Festival in Croydon when the phone rang - it was Neck supremo Leeson, whose opening line of 'I expect you can guess why I'm calling' means that you can probably guess the next line too. It seems that in 2015 there are still outdoor gigs being booked by people who don't bother putting a roof over the stage. It's almost unbelievable isn't it? It's a shame that the gig was cancelled, but the band are playing The Good Ship in Kilburn this coming Saturday with Attila the Stockbroker among others so the time that I've spent learning the songs will be put to good use then. An afternoon off might not have been a bad idea, but playing a gig would have been much more fun, so after a couple of phone calls I was on my way to Ye Olde George in Colnbrook for an afternoon show with Big Al and the boys - Pete was due to be covering for me but we decided that with the afore-mentioned wedding on the horizon it would be beneficial for both of us to play the show together. And a very enjoyable show it was too, with Howard once again depping on drums and more new songs getting their first airing. We've got a show at Hayes Working Men's Club this Friday - no doubt even more new songs will appear there too. 

Oh and in case you were wondering, yes we had a few drinks after the show. Time for a night off from drinking methinks...

No comments: