Sunday, May 20, 2007

Ticket inspector

I was on a Metropolitan line train yesterday morning- nothing unusual there as I travel to the shop in Ickenham on one most mornings when I'm working there. But this was a busy one, because it was F.A. Cup Final day. I was amazed at how many people were going (yeah, I know, they might not have actually been going to the match, just going to watch it somewhere with their mates. Leave me alone, I'm trying to have a rant here!). The weather was good, spirits were high among both sets of supporters and I couldn't help but feel a bit jealous as I've never been to a Cup Final and would imagine it's an event to remember. Then again- would I deserve to go? I like football but am not a 'fanatic' (the word 'fan' comes from that you know) unlike the people who queued up at Chelsea for tickets. You know the ones, they'd been told that the tickets went on sale at 8 a.m. though anyone arriving then would have found them all sold because they'd opened the box office at midnight. I saw some of the disappointed fans on the news, and felt sorry for them- I queued up in the freezing cold for tickets to see The Who play a warm-up gig at Watford Town Hall a few years ago and would have been a lot angrier than these people seemed if I'd had a similar experience. So it was just great to see our local M.P. John Randall on his way to the game yesterday- perhaps he was meeting Jeremy Clarkson there; I heard on the T.V. that he was going even though he's never been to a football match in his life before. They probably know each other- you never know, they might have met when they were queuing up for tickets. They could even be sitting next to each other in Wembley, no doubt reminiscing about how surprisingly cold it was in the queue that night and what a relief it was when they were able to get their tickets at midnight instead of having to wait until the morning to them. It was a tenner for a programme- I bet they each bought 2, just because they could. Or 3. It would still be less than a hour's wages for either of them. 'Ah, the Cup Final' they could say, 'makes you proud to be British doesn't it?'

Is it just me or everything all gone horribly wrong?

No comments: