Tuesday, October 15, 2013

He does it right

That's Wilko on the left
and me on the right.
Oh yes!
So then, the morning after the night before. And what a night it was - a great opening set from the excellent Eight Rounds Rapid, an extraordinary and emotional performance from Wilko Johnson (ably abetted by Norman Watt-Roy and Dylan Howe) and a 40-odd minute Ruts D.C. show which I will remember forever. I also went along to the previous night's show, when The 45s opened the evening and I managed to spend an absolute fortune on far too much to drink. I spent a fair bit last night too. But you know what - it was worth every penny. I like most people thought that I'd seen my last Wilko show back in March, but somehow the great man is still treading the boards. I fear time is running out (I suppose you could say that it is for all of us...) but he's remains one of the most exciting and captivating performers that I'll ever see, and a brilliant guitarist who is finally getting the recognition that he's always deserved. And with this in mind it was a celeb-tastic night at Koko (it's still The Camden Palace isn't it? Or The Music Machine?!?) last night, with Rat Scabies in our dressing room before the show and Suggs in it afterwards; I saw Phill Jupitus holding court and posing for fan photos and Chris and JC from The Members in the bar - everyone wants to see Wilko these days don't they? Good! And everyone wants to write about him too - here's a very quick-out-of-the-starting-blocks review of the evening from Louder Than War. Incidentally, we didn't play 'Dope for Guns'...


I've been watching Wilko Johnson for over 35 years and I have never seen him play a bad gig - if these are the last shows that I see him play then he's kept that standard up right to the end, and that should be an inspiration to us all. It's certainly an inspiration to me. 

1 comment:

Musky03 said...

Hi Leigh,

Yes it was great! Wilko has proved to be an inspiration and I have loved every time I have seen him over the past 5 years (not 35 years but a dozen or so gigs).

Ruts DC set was also spot on, excellent sound (contary to what I had heard was typical for the venue). Just about right for the Damned tour... although I'd sacrifice Fools for One Step.... need to emphasise the new.... but appreciate that it's almost impossible within the constraints of a support slot, especially with an audience hell bent on hearing vintage '79.

Cheers,

Adrian